A wholesome, spicy and filling carrot soup thanks to some quinoa and feta. This soup is not just tasty but also speedy to make, the perfect mid-week recipe.
Ingredients for 6-8:
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1.2kg organic carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1.5 tbsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 1 tsp child powder or child flakes (less if you don’t tolerate spicy food)
- 1l vegetable stock
- 100g cooked quinoa
- 1 tbsp Sherry vinegar
- 1 handful of each, chopped mint and coriander
- 100g crumbled Feta
- Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan, add the garlic and onion slices and fry for some 3-5 minutes. Use low-medium heat, making sure the onion slices don’t burn and get a nice consistent brownish colour.
- Add the carrots, all spices and fry for 5 minutes before adding the vegetable stock and simmer on low heat for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the quinoa if not already cooked, drain and put aside.
- Blend the soup using a hand blender. Season with the Sherry vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Pour into bowls, top with some drained quinoa, crumbled feta and garnish with mint and coriander.
[Inspired by Waitress Food October 2015]